RE:QUESTA space for resources to help RE teachers and their students explore the Christian faith
Lat Blaylock, Editor, RE Today
We are delighted to share with you our library of resources. You can use the filter feature below to find topics most relevant to your curriculum.
Benefits and Challenges of Living in a Multi-faith Society
A multi-faith society is one where people with different faiths live together. Living in a multi-faith society can bring with it benefits and challenges.
- It can promote a better understanding and tolerance towards the beliefs of others.
- Mixing with different religions can lead to a better understanding of different viewpoints.
- Sharing ideas and customs can build up a varied cultural life within a community, learning from other religious traditions can enhance peoples' life experiences.
- Religious tension can be caused if too many religions live closely together.
- Religious extremism can occur, leading to violence against other groups.
- Some find it difficult to understand different points of view, which may lead to prejudice and discrimination.
- Some religious groups may feel that they are less valued than others in the community, or even ignored.
What do you think is the most important benefit of living in a multi-faith society? What is the most challenging aspect? Explain your answer.